Wednesday, September 2, 2009

C's first day of preschool

I am still trying to digest my morning with C. He has been so excited with the idea of school and could not wait to get in the car this morning. He was great until we got there and he learned what school was really about. The parents stay the 1st day and it was only for an hour. He was done after 10 minutes and it fell apart from there. Most kids are a little shy and standoffish with new things...not C, it was more the opposite and he wanted to run the class. This is how much of the morning went...

mommy-"C come find a spot with me on the circle for Jesus time"
C- "no like Jesus, no sit, I not want to"
(At this I thought...can you get kicked out of a Lutheran preschool for saying that)

mommy-"look C you can color this apple red and then your teacher will hang in on the tree"
C-"orange, want orange, no like red"
(At this I thought...really kid, you are usually my easy child, apparently this is not our day)

mommy "C come over here and let's count 8 red things to glue on the paper"
C-"SQUEEZE...want to squeeze" at which point he throws all eight things on the floor and walks away (At this I thought...why would you put out glue bottles for the kids to use in a 2's class, have they not heard of glue sticks) I was just trying to cut my kid some slack here.

mommy "C it is time to sing, find a place on the mat"
C-no words for this, he simple let out a loud scream, ran around the room twice and then threw himself on the floor.
(At this I thought...can I spank my child in front of all these other parents and not be judged at this point) But I very calmly took him out in the hall and explained to him that this is what we do in school. C's response- "backpack, go home, no like school."

And with that I thought (prayed really) that we were done and went back in to get our things, only to find it was snack time. I let him finish a snack and we went on our way. Hopefully, they let him come back next week.

Happy at home before the real adventure began

Good thing he is so darn cute. By the time I replayed the events to S, I was laughing about the whole thing. He is one funny guy, little firecracker and all.